Growing Detroit Dark Red Beet Microgreens
- Latin Name: beta vulgaris var. Detroit Dark Red
- Seed Presoak: 4-10 hours in cold water
- Days to Maturity: 11-21 days
- Growth Medium: Soil
- Color: Vibrant red stems with a nearly neon green top
- Flavor: Sweet and earthy, similar flavor to swiss chard microgreens
- Nutrients: Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, and protein
Grow beet microgreens seeds only in soil. Beets seeds are abnormally shaped seed, which contributes to why its preferred medium is soil. Their root systems also require a bit more room to explore and grab hold. Beet greens are very colorful and flavorful.
Prepare your soil in your tray by tamping it and making sure it is moist. after presoak, sow your seeds and then cover with a thin layer of soil. This provides the ideal conditions for the seeds to germinate. After a while, the beets will start to poke through the the top layer—which also serves to de-shell the seed. Keep covered with the blackout dome for up to five days. After that, place under a growlight until mature! Cut close to the soil line to feature the red stem.