Beet - Detroit Dark Red (Conventional) - Microgreens Seeds
- Latin Name: Beta vulgaris var. Detroit Dark Red
- Presoak: 4-10 hours in cold water
Preferred Growing Medium: Soil only
- Seeding Rate (weight per 10"x 20" tray): 1-2 oz.
Blackout Time: up to 5 days
Germination Time: 3-4 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 11-21 days
- Microgreen Color: vibrant red stem with a nearly neon green top
- Microgreen Flavor: sweet and earthy, similar flavor to Swiss chard microgreen
- Microgreen Texture: crunchy, juicy
- Nutrients: Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, and protein
Grow beet microgreens seeds only in soil. Beet seeds are an abnormally shaped seed, which contributes to why its preferred medium is soil. Their root systems also require a bit more room to explore and grab hold.
Prepare your soil in your tray by tamping it and making sure it is moist. After presoaking, sow your seeds and then cover with a thin layer of soil. This provides the ideal conditions for the seeds to germinate. After a while, the beets will start to poke through the the top layer—which also serves to de-shell the seed. Keep covered with the blackout dome for up to five days. After that, place under a grow light or in sunlight until mature! Cut close to the soil line to feature the red stem.
For more detailed instructions on growing, as well as some troubleshooting and tips, please visit our Soil Growing Directions page.
Beets have so many healthy qualities! There are so many benefits to these tiny, yet powerful plants. A few of these health benefits include:
- Alleviates hypertension and cardiovascular disease
- Powerful detoxifying and antioxidant properties
- Improves immune functions
- Aids in preventing stroke, heart disease, risk of Type II diabetes, and epileptic seizures
- Stress relief
- Slows the aging process
Seeds per Package:
- 4 oz - Approximately 5,000 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 20,000 seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 100,000 seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 500,000 seeds