Growing Chioggia Beet Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Beta vulgaris
- Common Names: Bassano Beet, Dolce Di Chioggia, Candy Cane Beet, Bullseye Eye
- Beet Hardiness Zones: 2-11, Annual
- Days to Maturity: 55 days
- Seed Planting Depth: ½”
- Garden Plant Spacing: 2-3"
- Garden Row Spacing: 12"
- Beet Growth Habit: Chioggia beet seeds quickly mature into an 8-10" tall garden crop with a 6-8" spread
- Garden Soil Preference: Organically rich, evenly tilled, well-drained
- Grow Temp Preference: Day 60-70° F, Night 50-60° F
- Garden Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/Diseases/Troubleshooting: Non-GMO Beta vulgaris has no serious garden insects or pests. Beets may sometimes be affected by fungal leaf spots, mildew, and root rot. Regularly watch for common garden pests such as aphids, leafhoppers, and sugar ants.
- Chioggia Color: Heirloom Chioggia is famous for its red and white concentric roots and long, leafy greens with purple stems
- Chioggia Flavor: Crunchy, earthy root that becomes sweeter and more tender when cooked. Markedly sweeter than red cultivars.
Open-pollinated annual Chioggia beet is a cool weather garden crop best sown directly in early spring or early fall. Plant 3-4 Chioggia seeds ½” deep and 1-2” apart in fertile, organically rich, well-drained soil in full sun. Non-GMO beet seeds germinate in 5-10 days, then thin back to 1 plant every 2-3” once true leaves establish. Sow heirloom beets in the garden every 2-3 weeks for replete harvests, and season-long growing. Like many root vegetables, beets do not transplant well and prefer direct garden sowing.
First domesticated for their culinary herbal greens and ornamental qualities, the heirloom beetroot seed wasn't grown in the garden for its roots until many centuries later. Beetroot seeds are truly an old-world heirloom still prized today in many European culinary traditions including Polish, Dutch, Russian, and German. And unlike messy red garden beetroot, non-GMO Chioggia is a clean cultivar that does not drip and stain red.
Wholesale Chioggia Beet Vegetable Garden Seeds Per Package:
- 3 g - Wholesale - Approximately 125 Seeds
- 1 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 1,250 Seeds
- 4 oz - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 5,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 20,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 100,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Chioggia beet vegetable garden seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.