Growing Contender Bush Bean Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Phaseolus vulgaris
- Other Names: Contender Green Beans, String Beans, Haricot
- Days to Maturity: 55 days
- Hardiness Zone: Annual, not intended for overwintering; suitable for all USDA hardiness zones
- Planting Depth: 1”
- Plant Spacing: 2”
- Row Spacing: 1-1/2-3’
- Growth Habit: Bushy, compact plants grow up to 20” tall
- Soil Preference: Well-draining, evenly moist soil with a pH of 6.0 to 6.8 and average fertility
- Temp Preference: Warm weather; soil temperature between 70 and 80 degrees F for germination
- Light Preference: Full sun; plants will tolerate partial shade but bean yield will be reduced
- Pests/diseases: Mexican bean beetles, aphids, leafhoppers, seedcorn maggot, two-spotted spider mites, bacterial blights, bean common mosaic virus, white mold
- Color: Green
- Flavor: Strong
Contender Bush Green Bean Growth Habits:
These treated Contender bush beans have a bush growth habit and will produce good yields of stringless 6" green beans 55 days after planting.
Green beans need warm weather and evenly moist soil, especially during the flowering and fruiting stages, to produce the best results.
Only requiring average fertility, nitrogen fertilizers should not be used on green beans, as they are nitrogen fixers.
Beans do not tolerate transplanting, so they must be sown directly in the soil after the threat of frost has passed and the soil temperature has reached at least 70 degrees F.
Various Uses for Contender Bush Green Beans:
Contender green beans have a distinct, strong green bean flavor and produce long, stringless pods, making them very tasty when sautéed in butter or olive oil, steamed and added to salads, cooked in a casserole, or eaten fresh. They are also good for canning, pickling, and freezing.
Contender Bush Green Bean Benefits:
Green beans are an excellent source of vitamins C and A, and they also have vitamin K, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, and vitamin E. Green beans also have health supporting minerals, including manganese, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. On top of that, green beans are a good source of fiber, which helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
The heirloom Contender Bush Bean starts producing a week ahead of most bean varieties. Plant produces in. - 8 inch garden green bean seed pods. Tolerates mosaic virus, greasy pod and heat. Contender bush beans are reliable garden seeds and the green beans are very tasty. Contenders are reliable and the green beans are very tasty.
Seeds Per Package:
- 0.25 oz - Approximately 13 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 52 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 210 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 840 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 4,200 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 21,000 Seeds