Growing Oriental Yard Long Bean Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Vigna unguiculata var. sesquipedalis
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 85 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 2-3"
- Plant Spacing: 3-4"
- Row Spacing: 30-36"
- Growth Habit: Vine
- Soil Preference: Loose soil, PH level of 6 to 7 preferred, cannot germinate in cold soil so best to sow in late spring
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun is required.
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to spider mites
- Color: Light green
- Flavor: Similar to green bean
Start by sowing the seeds two to three inches deep, with a space of three to four inches between plants. The Yard Long can tolerate acidic soils and will require full sun. Due to growing in the nature of a vine, a support, such as a trellis, will be needed. The pods will take two to three months to reach maturity, at which point they should be anywhere from one to three feet long. Once pods begin to reach this size, they should be harvested each day to encourage production on the vine.