Growing Oriental Yard Long Bean Pole Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Vigna unguiculata var. sesquipedalis
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 85
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 1-2”
- Plant Spacing: 3-4”
- Row Spacing: 30-36"
- Growth Habit: vine
- Soil Preference: Loose soil, PH of 6-7, soil must be warm to germinate, grow in late spring
- Temp Preference: warmer
- Light Preference: full sun is required
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to spider mites
- Color: light green
- Flavor: similar to green bean
Start by sowing the seeds one to two inches deep, with a space of three to four inches between plants. The Yard Long can tolerate acidic soils and will require full sun. Water them often so that they don’t wilt in the sun. Due to the the nature of a vine, a support, such as a trellis, will be needed. Pods grow long and slightly heavy, so they will need a strong support. The pods take two to three months to reach maturity, at which point they should be anywhere from one to three feet long. Once pods begin to reach this size, they should be harvested each day to encourage production on the vine.
These vines have a mind of their own, and they will grow up and around almost any support they are offered. This is a great opportunity to get creative in the home garden.
Seeds Per Package:
li>15 g Packet - Approximately 100 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 200 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 800 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 3200 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 16,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 80,000 Seeds