Growing Blue Lake Pole FM1K Beans
- Latin Name: Phaseolus vulgaris
- Other Names: String Beans
- Days to Maturity: 50-70 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 1"
- Plant Spacing: 3"
- Row Spacing: 18-24"
- Growth Habit: Vine (trellis recommended)
- Soil Preference: Loose soil, PH level of 6 to 7 preferred, cannot germinate in cold soil so best to sow in late spring
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun is required.
- Pests/diseases: Aphids, spider mites, grasshoppers, slugs. Wet leaves can rot and disease can spread, so affected leaves need to be removed
- Color: Green
- Flavor: Juicy, crunchy consistency
To get started, sow the seeds just one inch beneath the surface in a loose soil, with four inches between plants and eighteen to twenty four inches between rows. Beans need light, but even, watering. Because the leaves can become afflicted with disease if made wet, you should water as close to the root as possible. If you do find that a leaf has become diseased, remove it from the plant immediately, as the disease can spread. You can begin harvesting beans when they are about three to five inches long; this will usually be around fifty to seventy days. Leaving mature beans on the plant can stop or slow production, so be sure to keep an eye on these rapid growers!