Lettuce Leaf Basil Herb Garden Planting Seeds
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Herb Days to Maturity: 60+(leaves) 90+(seeds)
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Hardiness Zones: 9-11 Perennial, 3-9 Annual
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Seed Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Seed Plant Spacing: 12-16”
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Growth Habit: Upright/compact bush
- Soil Preference: Rich and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Japanese beetles, slugs and aphids
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Herb Color: Bright-green leaves, white flowers
- Lettuce Leaf Basil Herb Seed Flavor: Sweet, crisp mild verdant, fresh
Lettuce Leaf Basil Growing Habits
Non-GMO Lettuce Leaf Basil (Ocimum basilicum) plants grow 18-24” tall as compact bushes. Heirlooms such as Lettuce Leaf, blossom into late summer with abundant growth, developing thicker stems and crimped bright-green leaves. Your sweet basil crop will reach ideal harvesting before they bloom, as their leaves reach 4-5” and produce a sweet scent. This large-leaf variety looks similar to Italian-type basil with mildly verdant flavor, continuing to provide a fresh aroma and crisp flavor until the first frost arrives. By early fall, your Lettuce Leaf Basil will grow small white flowers and begin to seed.
In general, basil is an ultimate and ancient hybrid herb—making it a challenge for gardeners to place a single origin. Basil can be classified as either sweet or non-sweet. The popular types are referred to as sweet. For example, a cultivar that isn’t in the sweet category would be clove basil.
Non-Culinary Uses for Lettuce Leaf Basil Herb Seed
Lettuce Leaf Basil has a sweet and fresh scent that provides a more mild flavor than Genovese Basil—making this a perfect herb to aid digestion by eating fresh. As a medicinal remedy, their large bright-green leaves can also provide a sweet aroma to your summer herb garden.
Culinary Uses for Lettuce Leaf Basil Herb Seed
This type of basil originated from Japan. As a diverse herb, Lettuce Leaf Basil can complement savory foods in Asian cuisine and develops similarly as Italian Basil . Lettuce Leaf Basil is also an ideal fresh addition to salads, sandwiches and crisp chicken wraps. Lettuce Leaf Basil is also perfect for making a warm tea to help aid digestion by steeping the aromatic leaves in hot water.
Benefits of Lettuce Leaf Herb Seed
Lettuce Leaf Basil blooms small white flowers, giving off a sweet and mildly verdant scent, making this variety another popular herb to repel insects such as flies and mosquitoes during the summer. As Lettuce Leaf Basil abundantly grows up to 18-24” tall with 5” leaves, this sweet basil is most often grown to provide more protection to other plants. Large-leaf basil such as Lettuce Leaf, is known to bolt less than other herb crops and do well in the heat.
Lettuce Leaf Basil Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 2,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 8,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 32,000 Seeds
- 5 lbs - Approximately 160,000 Seeds