Growing Organic Italian Large Leaf Basil Seeds
- Latin Name: Ocimum basilicum
- Days to Maturity: Annual, depends on the length of the warm season
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Sow Spacing: 12-18”
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Seed Soil Preference: Well-drained and moist
- Plant Temperature Preference: Warm; the longer the season, the better
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Italian Large Leaf Color: Green, ranging from pale to dark
- Flavor: Sweet anise flavor, the most popular of basil varieties
Organic Large Leaf Basil Growing Habits
Organic Ocimum Basilicum var. Italian Large Leaf is an annual seed that does best in a summer that lasts at least 3 months. Basil herbs in general, including Organic Italian Large Leaf, are considered a "bumper crop", meaning they produce a huge yield over their lifecycle, if they are trimmed correctly. Basil can grow tall but, when pinched, it can become bushy with a 12-inch spread. Yes, italian large leaf basil cvan be "dwarfed" but it must be at least 6 inches tall to produce correctly.
Uses and Benefits of Organic Italian Basil
Always harvest your organic basil leaves before the plant goes to flower. Most popularly they are used right away, but it is possible to dry the leaves, crumble, and store for later use. First, cut the stems and tie together with a string. To harvest, pinch the stem just above a set of leaves as needed from the top this will help to keep the plants bushy. Make sure you don't harvest too much at once as it can cause irrepuable damage. Although you don't want basil to flower while harvesting, at the end of the season, allow it to flower—it's a pretty showy flower that looks nice as summer wans into autumn.
- 2 g - Approximately 500 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 17,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 68,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 272,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 1,360,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 6,800,000 Seeds