Dwarf Greek Basil Herb Garden Planting Seeds
- Latin Name: Ocimum basilicum var. 'dwarf greek'
- Dwarf Greek Basil Herb Days to Maturity: 60+(leaves) 90(seeds)
- Dwarf Greek Basil Hardiness Zones: 9-11 Perennial, 3-9 Annual
- Dwarf Greek Basil Seed Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Dwarf Greek Basil Seed Plant Spacing: 8-18”
- Dwarf Greek Basil Growth Habit: Upright/bush
- Soil Preference: Rich and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Japanese beetles, slugs and aphids
- Dwarf Greek Basil Herb Color: Small light-green leaves, white buds
- Dwarf Greek Basil Herb/Seed Flavor: Sweet, peppery and bright
Dwarf Greek Basil Growing Habits
Non-GMO Dwarf Greek Basil (Ocimum basilicum) grows as small bushes only 6-8” tall. As late summer to early fall approaches, open-pollinated Dwarf Greek Basil develops light-green leaves and takes on a spherical shape, giving off a slight peppery and sweet aroma. Your crop will reach ideal harvesting before Greek Basil blooms their white buds. This sweet basil crop will continue to grow their small yet bright leaves until the first frost arrives. Dwarf Greek Basil is also great to plant in a pot on your patio as a compact herb.
Basil in general, is an ultimate hybrid herb with a lot of different strains. As basil is also ancient, it’s a challenge for gardeners to pin down a single origin. Basil can be classified as either sweet or non-sweet. The more popular types are considered sweet. For example, a cultivar that isn’t sweet would be clove basil. However, some sources often describe notes of clove as being “sweet”, making basil a diverse herb difficult to categorize.
Uses for Dwarf Greek Basil Herb Seed
You can make herbal incense sticks with your Greek basil and allow its medicinal benefits to extract its oils. This type of sweet yet peppery basil is also great for shampoo or conditioner infusion. You can pour boiling water over your freshly chopped greek basil and let it sit for a few hours before mixing into a bottle with other ingredients such as grapeseed oil and liquid soap.
Culinary Uses for Dwarf Greek Basil Herb Seed
As an heirloom variety that provides a unique flavor between sweet and spicy, Dwarf Greek Basil compliments many Italian dishes and adds a bright aroma to tomato sauce. This type of sweet basil with small leaves also can be added as a garnish to drinks such as a lime cooler. As sweet basil varieties range widely in flavor, Greek Basil is essential to any fresh cucumber salad.
Benefits of Growing Dwarf Greek Basil Herb Seed
As a late summer to early fall crop, non-GMO basil plants will not only add to the overall aroma, but will also repel unwanted pests such as flies and mosquitoes. Dwarf Greek Basil plants are often made into a natural fragrance spray, which happens to help ward off mosquitoes. Greek Basil crops are also great for drying and can be stored in bundles for seasoning or used as aromatherapy.
Dwarf Greek Basil Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 18,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 72,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 288,000 Seeds