Growing Dark Opal Basil Microgreens Seeds
**Note: This seed varies widely in color, please be aware that the percentages of green and purple vary from lot to lot and is in no way consistent.**
- Latin Name: Ocimum basilicum
- Other Name(s):
- Presoak: No Soak
- Preferred Growing Medium: Soil or Hydroponic
- Seeding Rate per 10"x 20" tray: 1 oz
- Blackout Time: 2-5 days
- Germination Time: 2-4 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 18-30+ days
- Microgreen Color: Random shades of dark purple and vibrant green. Cover consistency varies from lot to lot.
- Microgreen Flavor: A flavor very similar to large leaf basil but with that thai edge that dark basils bring.
- Microgreen Texture: Tender and soft
- Nutrients: Vitamins K, E, and C, calcium, iron, and beta-carotenes
Dark Opal Basil Microgreens seeds form a gel-like membrane on the outside of themselves when they get wet. These kinds of seeds are called mucilaginous seeds. The mucus on the outside of each dark opal basil seed makes them sticky, resulting in seed clumping. No need for a microgreen seed presoak. Simply, prepare your soil or your hydroponic microgreens growing medium by getting it sufficiently wet but not soaking. Then, spread your dark opal basil microgreens seeds across the surface of the grow medium. Space them so that the basil microgreens seedlings can breathe as they grow. Spray your sown basil microgreens seeds with water, and cover the now wet microgreens seeds with another growing tray and continue to check and water each day if need be. After about 5 days, your seeds should be growing and reaching for light with their cotyledon leaves. Place your tray of cinnamon basil microgreens next to a window where it can receive light. Continue watering, and watching your basil microgreens mature over the next two weeks. Harvest and enjoy the microgreens any way you like! Micro basil does not grow tall, so you will need to harvest close to the root line and rinse well. Micro basil seeds are among the more expensive seeds but are worth it for their amazing color and intense basil flavor.
Dark Opal Basil Microgreens seeds have numerous applications in cooking. Use the microgreens as you would the full-grown dark opal basil herb. Micro basil is an outstanding choice for caprese, pesto or any recipe that calls for fresh basil. The flavor of micro basil is a bit more intense than adult basil.
Seeds per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 16,000 seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 64,000 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 256,000 seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 1,280,000 seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 6,400,000 seeds