Growing Crego Giant Mix Flowers From Seeds
- Taxonomy: Callistephus chinensis
- Other Names: China Aster, Annual Aster
- Seed Type: Annual
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Aster seeds are best started indoors 6 – 8 weeks prior to the final frost, with germination occurring in 7 – 10 days with full lighting. Seeds can also be sown directly outside just after the frost. Crego Giant Mix is a showy variety and is just as popularly grown indoors as it is out.
- Days to Plant Maturity: 91 – 105 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3 – 9
- Seed Planting Depth: Plant 3 – 4 seeds ¼” deep
- Plant Spacing: 6 – 8"
- Growth Habit: 18 – 36" tall upright with a 9 – 12" spread of 3 – 4" semi-doubled blooms
- Soil Preference: Rich, consistently moist, well-drained
- Light Preference: Full sun – Partial shade
- Diseases/Pests/Troubleshooting: Crego Giant Mix Aster is not tolerant to drought and requires consistently moist soils and is susceptible to powdery mildew and root rot if poorly drained and circulated. Plants will benefit from deadheading and afternoon shade in regions with excessive summer heat. Callistephus chinensis is susceptible to Aster Yellows and Aster Wilt.
- Flower Colors: Mix of magenta, purple, white, and lavender
Callistephus chinensis, or more commonly known as Asters, is native to the temperate regions of both China and Korea. The Aster is known to have been cultivated in Chinese culture for more than 2,000 years, while it was only introduced to Europe in the 18th Century. The genus name of Callistephus is derived from Greek words kalli ("beautiful") and stephos ("crown"), and the common word Aster is the Latin word for "star."
Crego Mix - Aster Flower Garden Seeds. Annual. Open Pollinated.