Growing Armeria Maritima Flower Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Armeria maritima
- Other Names: Sea Thrift, Thrift seapink, California seapink, Interior seapink, Siberian sea thrift, Lady Cushion
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Both
- Days to Maturity: Up to 370 days
- Hardiness Zone: 4 – 8
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 6 – 8"
- Row Spacing: 9 – 12"
- Growth Habit: Mound
- Soil Preference: Chalk, loam, sand, well-drained, pH 5.8-6.8.
- Temp Preference: Warmer, 65-70 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Diseases/pests/problems: Root rot can occur if the soil is kept too moist.
- Color: Pink, white, violet, red.
These flowers will bloom best in the late spring through the summer, so when sowing, make sure to sow 10 weeks prior to the last frost. The best soil to use is not overly fertile and must be well-drained. Before planting these seeds indoors or outdoors, soak the seeds in warm water for 8 hours. This helps the germination process. Inside sowing, the soil temp needs to stay between 60-70 degrees F and do not cover the seed with the soil, just press it into the soil. Germination will take about 2-3 weeks. Transplant after frost has gone. If sowing the seeds outside, do not cover the seeds but press into the soil. Apply water sparingly. These flowers are a very hardy plant. Remember to deadhead to continue the growth.