Growing Mountain of Gold Alyssum Flower Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Aurinia saxatilis 'compacta'
- Other Names:
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Indoors: 6-8 weeks before last frost. Outdoors: when there is no more frost
- Days to Maturity: 7 - 21 days.
- Hardiness Zone: 3 - 9
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 6"
- Row Spacing: 12"
- Growth Habit: Mound
- Soil Preference: Well drained, low fertility soil, chalk, loam, sand. A very thin layer of organic mulch or gravel can help with moisture. Only use fertilizer every other year or so.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full and/or partial.
- Diseases/pests/possible problems: Too much water can cause root rot..
- Color: Yellow with silver foliage.
Begin sowing your seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost of spring or outside when all frost is gone. Make sure the seeds are 6 inches apart and do not put soil over them, just press into the soil. The soil needs to be able to drain well. In about six weeks after sowing, blooms will appear. Water until moist but no drenched. To encourage rebloom, cut the plant back by 1/3.