Fried Squash Blossoms
- 12-15 fresh squash blossoms, stems and stamen removed
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup plain sparkling water/club soda or your favorite Pilsner brew
- Coarse sea salt
- Cracked pepper
- Vegetable or olive oil for frying
- Line a plate/baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, a pinch of salt and pepper, and the sparkling water or beer, then lightly whisk until combined. (should be a pancake batter consistency)
- Add the oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. The oil should reach about 1/8-inch up the pan. Test the to see if the oil is hot enough by adding a drop of the batter into the pan. It will sizzle immediately if ready.
- Dredge each of the blossoms in the batter and allow the excess to drip back into the bowl. Work in batches so they cook evenly, Cook for 1-2 minutes each side, until the batter is nice and golden.
- Place on the paper towel and sprinkle immediately with sea salt.This will absorb excess oil and leave them crispy.
- Serve warm, and if you so feel, an accompaniment of garlic aioli or tomato sauce will add a little extra charm to the appetizer.
- If you liked this recipe and want to try more blossom recipes! I'd recommend trying 'stuffed squash blossoms!'
- Tags: vegetarian
- Hailey Bernal