Coconut Curry Rice
Coconut curry rice
By: Vaishali, CO
- Basmati rice 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk 2.5 cups
- Cloves 3
- Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 inch Finely chopped onion
- 1/2cup Chopped mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, potato)
- 1 cup Garlic
- Green chili 2
- Cashew 10 to 12 pieces ( optional)
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Coriander seed powder 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped tomato 1
- Butter as needed
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut 2tbsp
- Pre heat oven at 450F
- Wash rice 3 times with water and soak for 2 hours
- Remove water from rice and add coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt, 1 cloves, a small piece of cinnamon.
- Sauté half the onion in butter until well cooked. Add to rice.
- Pressure cook the rice or cook on direct flame until done.
- Let cool.
- Heat some water in a utensil and add the chopped vegetables and cook until they are half boiled. Strain to remove water using a strainer.
- In a pan, heat butter and fry remaining onion, clove, cinnamon, garlic, green chili, cashew, cumin seed, coriander seed powder, grated coconut for few min
- Churn in a blender adding little water. It should be a smooth paste
- Heat some butter in a pan, and fry this paste for about 5 to 7 min on medium heat.
- Add the half boiled vegetables and mix well. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomato and sauté for a minute.
- Grease a baking dish, place vegetable curry and spread it. Top with rice and spread it.
- Cover with a foil and bake for 25 min.
- Kat Jones