Have you ever found yourself completely exhausted from sitting at a desk all day for work? Me too. The good news is that you don’t have to feel that way. To help your mind stay energized and awake all day you can utilize the natural benefits plants provide.
One of these benefits is improved memory and brain function. In a study conducted at Exeter University in the U.K. plants were found to improve concentration, productivity, and the well-being of staff by 47% and memory by 20%.
In addition to these they can also boost creative thinking, spatial processing, and more. All that just for having a few plants around!
It's no secret that plants play a key role in cleaning the air and filtering pollutants from our environment, and that includes our work environments. NASA has even conducted a study on the effectiveness of indoor plants cleaning the air.
According to their study the air indoors can be as much as 30% more toxic than the air outside. That is a lot! Take the opportunity to create a real haven out of your work and study spaces by adding a few friendly plants around.
To get the best impact from adding plants to your work space I recommend utilizing some of the highest ranking plants for filtering the air:
- English Ivy (Hedera helix)
- Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)
- Peace Lily (spathiphyllum ‘mauna loa’)
- Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema modestum)
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii)
- Snake Plant (Dracaena trifasciata ‘laurentii’)
- Heartleaf philodendron (philodendron cordatum)
- Weeping fig (Ficus benjamina)
If you are someone who is always on the go jumping from one place to another you don’t have to miss out on these benefits. To see a boost in your memory and work performance, focus on what you are consuming. Many herbs possess natural properties that aid in attention, memory, energy, etc. Below are some common plants to aid in better function of these processes:
- Kale - Contains Lutein and omega-3 fatty acids known to aid in memory formation
- Rosemary - Great for memory recall
- Thyme - memory and learning
- Peppermint - Memory, reasoning, concept formation, and attention
- Blueberries - Aid in decision making, verbal comprehension, memory, and reasoning ability
- Ginger - Increased reaction time and attention
Regardless of your lifestyle there is always room for you to benefit from the natural properties found in living plants. If you find it hard to incorporate plants into your work space or diet, try taking even a few minutes a day to walk outside. Move your body and take a breath of fresh air.