- Germination: 71%
- State (Utah) Requirements: 80%
- Suggested Use/s: Vegetable Gardening
- Special Directions: This seed is -9% below standard. Increase the number of seeds you plant accordingly to make sure you get the growth you envision.
What is "Below Standard Seed"?
Simply put, it is seed that doesn't meet our state's (Utah) germination standard, a standard that varies slightly from seed to seed. Any seed intended for gardening that has a below standard germination rate cannot be sold alongside those that meet the state requirements (which often reflect the national requirements for germination).
We send samples of all our seed to the Utah Department of Agriculture, where they perform several tests to assess the quality of the seed. These state-wide and national seed standards are in line with Association of Official Seed Analysts (AOSA), which exist to ensure consumers that they are getting the highest quality seed, as advertised. Since this seed doesn't meet the state standard, we mark it as "Below Standard Seed".
Below standard seeds are non-refundable.
About Shogoin Turnip Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica rapa subsp. rapa
- Variety: “Non-GMO Purple Top White Globe”
- Other Names: Lamb’s Ear
- Days to Maturity: 30-60 days
- Hardiness Zones: 2-9
- Planting Depth: ½”
- Plant Spacing: 4-6”
- Row Spacing: 18-24”
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Fertile, loose and well-drained with soil pH 6.0-7.5
- Temp Preference: 60–70°F
- Light Preference: Full sun to partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Red, black harlequin bug, aphids and downy mildew
- Color: White globe and green leaves
- Flavor: Smooth white roots and delicious, mild-tasting greens.