Growing Organic Speckled Pea Microgreens
- Presoak:4-12 hours
- Suitable Growth Medium: Hydroponic & Soil (preferred)
- Seeds Per 10"x20" Tray: Amount of seeds may vary, but we recommend 5-8 oz per tray
- Germ time: 2-3 Days
- Harvest time:12-16 Days
- Color:A long stem with a leafy top
- Flavor:crunchy, very sweet, fresh (tastes just like peas)
- Shape:Stemy, tendrilly
- Texture:Crunchy, succulent
- Nutrients: Vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, and phosphorus
Pea shoots, also known as pea microgreens, usually have very prominent root systems, which is why it is primarily grown in soil. The roots like to burrow and explore the soil while taking hold so the shoots can start "shooting" up. It is possible to get them to thrive with the right hydroponic medium.
Soak seeds in cold water for half a day to a day. Make sure you use plenty of water and a large bowl, as the peas soak up large amounts of water. You can plant directly, but we prefer to transfer to a colander. Rinse 2 to 4 times a day in the colander for another day or two until the seedlings begin to peek out. Tamp the soil gently to flatten. Spread evenly (they should be quite thick) and tamp very gently to insure contact with the soil. Mist thoroughly twice a day. Keep covered with the blackout / humidity dome for 3 to 4 more days before exposing light. Water once a day so the soil is damp but not soggy.