Growing Savoy Perfection Cabbage Seeds
- Latin Name: brassica oleracea var. capitata
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 90
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: ¼"
- Plant Spacing: 1-2"
- Row Spacing: 3'
- Growth Habit: Mound
- Soil Preference: Composted soil with ph level between 6 and 7.5, soil temperature of 50-85 degrees
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full to Partial Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to aphids, cabbage root maggots
- Color: Green
- Flavor: Sweet
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 6,800 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 27,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 108,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 544,000 Seeds
The Savoy Perfection cabbage will need partial sun, and the soil will need to remain moist. The Savoy Perfection cabbage needs two inches of water each week while growing. If sowing indoors and transplanting outside, it’s best to harden off the plants over the course of a week. When the Savoy Perfection cabbage plants are ready to be transplanted, sow them one fourth of an inch deep, with one and a half feet between the plants, in rows with three feet between them. The seedlings will do best in a composted soil. At around ninety days, the heads should be firm with a diameter of about five to seven inches. When this stage is reached, the Savoy Perfection cabbage can be harvested. When doing this, you will need to also remove the entire stem and root, to prevent the buildup of disease.
Check out this study by Medical News Today about the health benefits of cabbage.