Growing Di Cicco Organic Broccoli Garden Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: brassica oleracea var di cicco
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 55 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-10
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 18"
- Row Spacing: 18-24"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Ph level 6 to 6.8
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to cabbage worms and aphids.
- Color:Green with light purple tops on florets.
- Flavor: Mild with a crisp texture.
Seeds Per Package:
- 3 g Packet - Approximately 900 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 9,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 36,000 Seeds
- 8 oz - Approximately 72,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 144,000 Seeds
- 2.5 lb - Approximately 360,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 720,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 3,600,000 Seeds
If starting your Di Cicco broccoli crops indoors, you can transplant the seedlings outdoors when they are three inches tall. This is recommended for growing in cooler climates. If you want to start growing the broccoli directly outside, sow the seeds one fourth of an inch deep, eighteen inches apart, with eighteen to twenty four inches between the rows. Although broccoli can withstand frost, it also needs full sun to thrive. During the first two weeks, the organic broccoli seeds will be germinating, and will need consistently moist soil. While growing, the broccoli will need one to two inches of water each week. It is recommended to water at ground level. Between 48 to 70 days, the broccoli will be mature and ready to harvest; by this time, the heads of the main shoot will have a diameter of three inches. By cutting off the main head at this time, more side shoots/florets will be encouraged to grow.