Growing Purple Sprouting Broccoli Microgreens
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea var. italica
- Presoak: No Soak
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 7-14 days
- Growth Medium: Soil or Hydroponic
- Color:A white stem with a vibrant geen top. Sometimes shades of purple can be found throughout
- Flavor: A strong brassica flavor
- Nutrients: antioxidants, fiber, Vitamins A,C, and B-complex, calcium, potassium and copper
Prepare medium by moistening it and tamping it if needed. Spread seeds evenly across the surface and make sure seeds are moist by spraying them down before covering. Place in an area of your home with good airflow and is at roughly room temperature (70° F). Takes between 2 to 3 days to germinate. Then, it is time to uncover and place under a grow light. When growing broccoli as a microgreen, there may be a chance that both the medium and the germinating seeds will emit a farm-like smell, but this is normal of brassica seeds, especially broccoli.
Check out this study on broccoli microgreens and how they may play a big part in solving some of the world hunger and malnutrition issues.