Basil - Genovese - Microgreens Seeds
- Latin Name: Ocimum basilcum
- Presoak: No - because it's mucilaginous (see under "Growing Directions" below)
Preferred Growing Medium: Hydroponic (preferred) or Soil (for baby greens and adult stage)
- Seeding Rate (weight per 10"x 20" tray): 1 oz.
Blackout Time: 4-7 days
Germination Time: 5-7 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 12-16 days
- Microgreen Color: green
- Microgreen Flavor: intense basil
- Microgreen Texture: soft
- Nutrients: Vitamins E, A, K, B6, and C, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, copper, phosphorous, and potassium
Genovese Basil is a mucilaginous seed, meaning that it develops a jelly-like coating when it gets wet. Mist more frequently to keep the coating moist. Grows very well hydroponically and does better in well-lit conditions, but it is a slower grower. You may experiment with harvest times past 10 days. Genovese basil is a beautiful green color with an interesting shape that makes for a colorful garnish. Micro basil does not grow tall, so you will need to harvest close to the root line and rinse well. Micro basil seeds are among the more expensive seeds, but are worth it for their intense basil flavor.
***Note: Although we have indicated the specific medium that this particular seed prefers, you can still experiment with either soil or hydroponic mediums. Results may vary.
Micro basil is an outstanding choice for caprese, pesto or any recipe that calls for fresh basil. The flavor of micro basil is a bit more intense than adult basil. It has a variety of uses, inluding: microgreens, baby salad greens, garnishes, sandwiches, sprouting, survival food storage, gardening, cooking and seasoning.
Seeds per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 19,000 seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 76,000 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 304,000 seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 1,520,000 seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 7,600,000 seeds