Growing Heirloom Super Marmande VF Tomato Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Solanum lycoperscium
- Tomato Type: Semi-determinate
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 3-11
- Days to Maturity: 70-85
- Days to Germination: 5-14
- Seeding Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 18-24"
- Row Spacing: 24-36"
- Plant Height: 72-96" (vining)
- Growth Habit: Tall vining upright
- Soil Preference: Moist, fertile, composted, well-drained
- Temperature Preference: 65-85 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Super Marmande Tomato Color: Scarlet red skin with dark red meat
- Super Marmande Tomato Flavor: Savory with sweet and tart undertones. Juicy, with medium acidity
- Pests and Diseases: Susceptible to blight. Watch for aphids, flea beetles, and tomato hornworms. Resistant to verticillium and fusarium wilt.
How to Grow Super Marmande VF Tomatoes from Seed
Super Marmande VF tomato seeds are a warm weather crop best if started indoors about 6-8 weeks prior to final spring frost. Plant 2-3 Super Marmande VF tomato seeds 1/4" deep per cell in fertile, humusy, and well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-6.8. Beefsteak type seeds germinate in 5-14 days, transplant best starts to 1 per pot or 18-36" apart in the garden. Ideal in container gardening.
Super Marmande seeds technically produce an indeterminate tomato crop, but are considered semi-determinate, meaning that the plant is bushy, but sends out long vine stems that need support.
Before sowing, know whether the seed is determinate or indeterminate, as each will exhibit different habits. Determinate varieties mature to a predetermined size, producing its fruit all at once with only a minor need for staking. Indeterminate varieties grow indefinitely through the season, producing non-stop fruit while requiring heavy support. The fruit can be harvested irregularly as well. Pruning may be needed for this plant.
Heirloom Super Marmande VF Tomatoes in the Vegetable Garden
Plants are tolerant, disease-resistant, and cool-hardy, vining indeterminately as high as 72-96” tall.
Super Marmande tomatoes combine a savory flavor with both sweet and tart undertones. The fruit ripens early, and the tomatoes are large, sometimes up to 16 ounces.
Tomato seeds are the quintessential staple of summer gardening and arguably offers the most seed diversity among all seasonal fruits. Available in every possible color, shape, and size, tomato is a high-heat and full sun favorite that thrives from container and patio gardening. Along with cucumber and summer squash, the tomato plant is one of the most productive, hardy, and heavy fruiting crops of the season.
Harvesting Super Marmande VF Tomatoes
Smaller varieties such as the cherry are ready to harvest at about 80 days from sowing while larger varieties like the beefsteak may require a few extra weeks. Although vine-ripened fruit is always preferred, tomatoes can just as easily be harvested early and ripen indoors by being stored in a paper bag or box along with a banana for its ethylene gas. Ripest tomatoes may be pulled from the vine by hand, while more firm ones should be clipped with shears.
About Super Marmande VF Tomato Seeds
Solanum lycoperscium. (70-85 days). Semi-determinate.
The Super Marmade VF is a traditional French heirloom tomato famous for its large 12-16 oz ribbed “beefsteak-shaped” tomatoes. Super Marmande VF tomatoes are the perfect size for slicing and sandwiches and known for their even balance of acid to sweetness.
Non-GMO Super Marmande VF Tomato Seeds Per Package:
- 250 mg - Packet - Approximately 65 Seeds
- .25 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 1,875 Seeds
- 1 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 7,500 Seeds
- 4 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 30,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Bulk - Approximately 120,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Super Marmande VF tomato seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.