Growing Currant Red Tomato Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Solanum lycoperscium
- Tomato Type: Indeterminate
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 3-11
- Days to Maturity: 65-75
- Days to Germination: 7-21
- Seeding Depth: 1/8"
- Plant Spacing: 24-30"
- Row Spacing: 30-42"
- Plant Height: 48-60" (vining)
- Growth Habit: Tall vining upright
- Soil Preference: Moist, fertile, composted, well-drained
- Temperature Preference: 75-85 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Currant Red Tomato Color: Bright red skin
- Currant Red Tomato Flavor: Tart and sweet, with high acidity and sugar
- Pests and Diseases: Susceptible to fusarium wilt and blight. Watch for aphids, flea beetles, and tomato hornworms.
How to Grow Currant Red Tomatoes from Seed
Currant Red cherry tomato seeds are a warm weather crop best if started indoors about 6-8 weeks prior to final spring frost. Plant 2-3 seeds 1/4" deep per cell in fertile, humusy, and well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-6.8. Cherry tomato seeds germinate in 7-21 days, transplant best starts with 24-36" apart in the garden. Can be grown in containers.
Currant Red seeds produce an indeterminate tomato crop.Before sowing, know whether the seed is determinate or indeterminate, as each will exhibit different habits. Determinate varieties mature to a predetermined size, producing its fruit all at once with only a minor need for staking. Indeterminate varieties grow indefinitely through the season, producing non-stop fruit while requiring heavy support.
Currant Red Cherry Tomatoes in the Vegetable Garden
These Tomatoes are a beautiful bright red, but they are very small, often not much bigger than a marble. This makes them great for salads, canning, and preserves.
They are very sweet, with a firm texture. Start inside, and keep warm. Do not expose tomato plants to frost or they will die. Bury deeply to give the plant support, make sure they have full sun and plenty of water.
Tomato seeds are the quintessential staple of summer gardening and arguably offers the most seed diversity among all seasonal fruits. Available in every possible color, shape, and size, tomato is a high-heat and full sun favorite that thrives from container and patio gardening. Along with cucumber and summer squash, the tomato plant is one of the most productive, hardy, and heavy fruiting crops of the season.
Harvesting Currant Red Tomatoes
Smaller varieties such as the Currant Red cherry tomatoes are ready to harvest at about 80 days from sowing while larger varieties like the beefsteak may require a few extra weeks.
Although vine-ripened fruit is always preferred, tomatoes can just as easily be harvested early and ripen indoors by being stored in a paper bag or box along with a banana for its ethylene gas. Ripest tomatoes may be pulled from the vine by hand, while more firm ones should be clipped with shears.
About Currant Red Cherry Tomato Seeds
Solanum lycopersicum. (65-75 days) Indeterminate.
Currant Red Tomatoes are an old heirloom domesticated first in South America in the late 1800s before becoming naturalized throughout most of the world.
Non-GMO Currant Red Tomato Seeds Per Package:
- 250 mg - Packet - Approximately 60 Seeds
- .25 oz - Packet - Approximately 1,875 Seeds
- 1 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 7,500 Seeds
- 4 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 30,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Bulk - Approximately 120,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Currant Red cherry tomato seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.