Growing Summer Squash Zucchini Cashflow Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cucurbita Pepo
- Other Names: Summer squash, courgettes, Italian Squash
- Days to Maturity: 43 days
- Planting Depth: 1” deep
- Plant Spacing: 24"’
- Row Spacing: 39”
- Growth Habit: 3’ tall - Bushy
- Soil Preference: Well-watered, compost, rotted manure - pH 5.6 - 7.0
- Temp Preference: WARMER – Lowest Temperature 40° to 50°F (4° to 10°C)
- Light Preference: Full Sun = 6 - 8 hours daily
- Pests/diseases: Withstands powdery mildew and Mosaic viruses
- Color: Light green-grey
- Flavor: Creamy texture, somewhat sweet
When in need of an earlier harvest, planting indoors 3-4weeks before the last frost is necessary. Harvesting is painless without sharp spines. Some seeds can be planted in hills 4 feet apart, thinned out then split to two plants per hill. Seedlings can be thinned to about 24 inches apart. Easy to grow and easy to harvest! Picking while still about 4 to 8 inches long and still tender, will impart the most desirable flavor.
Zucchinis contain significant quantities of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, Vitamins A, C; and other vitamins and minerals. They store well for pickling and freezing; incomparable when juicing along with carrots; shred for use in making lasagna, ratatouille, bread, and many sauces; also good in cakes and desserts.