Shiso (Perilla) - Green- Microgreens Seeds
- Latin Name: Perilla frutescens var. crispa
- Other Name(s): Perilla, Beefsteak plant, deulkkae
- Presoak: 12-24 hours in cold water (long soak time because of the hard shell)
- Preferred Growing Medium: Soil or Hydroponic
- Seeding Rate per 10"x 20" tray: 1 oz
- Blackout Time: 3-5 days
- Germination Time: 3-5 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 8-12 days
- Microgreen Color: pale green stems and bold green leaves
- Microgreen Flavor: licorice-like, earthy
- Microgreen Texture: soft
- Nutrients: Vitamins A, C and K, calcium, iron, phosphorus, fiber and potassium
Prepare your growth medium, whether it be soil or a hydroponic growth mat, by getting it sufficiently moist. Spread seeds evenly across the surface of the growth medium. The denser you sow the seeds, the thicker your crop will turn out. However, be wary of over-seeding, which can lead to to the seeds becoming overcrowded, leading to crop failure.
After seeds are sown, cover for about four days to allow seeds to germinate, and then uncover seeds and place under a grow light or in a place in your home that gets a lot of sunshine (rotate crop if next to a window to prevent "bending" in the microgreens). Continue to water when needed for up to a week and half. By then, you should have a bounty of little greens to incorporate into your meals.
Shiso has been used as an herbal remedy in Japan for hundreds of years. It's anti-inflammatory properties can be used to treat eczema, arthritis and asthma.
Seeds per Package:
- 0.25 oz - Approximately 6,500 seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 26,000 seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 104,000 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 416,000 seeds