Growing Sandwich Island Salsify Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Tragopogon porrifolius
- Other Names: White salsify, goatsbeard, vegetable oyster, oyster plant
- Days to Maturity: 120 days
- Hardiness Zone: 6-8
- Planting Depth: 1/2”
- Plant Spacing: 2-3”
- Row Spacing: 2’
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Fertile, well-draining
- Temp Preference: 60-85℉
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Mildew
- Color: Tan root, green top
- Flavor: Oyster-like
Sandwich Island Salsify Growth Habits:
Plant Sandwich Island Salsify in the ground in the spring ½” below the soil. Make sure your soil is well-draining. Root vegetables can rot, and this is one of the most significant issues with vegetable oysters. Roots will grow to 8 inches like a parsnip, and this will the time to harvest. Salsify’s green tops can also be consumed. Harvest in the fall and live in a mild climate leave in the ground during winter for extended harvest time.
Various Uses for Sandwich Island Salsify:
White Salsify is a root vegetable that is not a part of the typical grocery store lineup. This is a great vegetable to eat in savory dishes. Roast in hot onion and eat with a steak. Make your salsify into an Au Gratin and add cheese and herbs. Put Salsify into stews for an additional umami flavor.
Sandwich Island Salsify Benefits:
Salsify is a bit of a mystery because it is not the most popular vegetable, but it does have numerous health benefits. It has iron, manganese, copper, folate, fiber, and protein. It is hard to find vegetables with both fiber and protein. Folate is also so important for pregnant women, and iron is beneficial to blood health.
Heirloom Sandwich Island Salsify originated in the Meditteranean during the 1600s.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 6,800 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 27,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 108,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 544,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 2,720,000 Seeds