Growing Rouge De Verona Radicchio Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cichorium endiva
- Other Names: Rouge De Verona Radicchio
- Days to Maturity: 80-85 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Plant Spacing: 10-12”
- Row Spacing: 2-3’
- Growth Habit: Herbaceous
- Soil Preference: Moist, well-draining
- Temp Preference: 60-70℉
- Light Preference: Full sun, part shade
- Pests/diseases: Aphids, thrips, ants
- Color: Nurgundy red
- Flavor: Bitter, spicy
Rouge De Verona Radicchio Growth Habits:
Place the seed in the ground when the danger of frost has passed. Plants can be thinned to a foot apart. Non-GMO Rouge De Verona Radicchio can be harvested in 80 days. Leaves will be a beautiful burgundy red when radicchio is ready to eat. Protect from aphids, thrips, and mold.
Various Uses for Rouge De Verona Radicchio:
Rouge De Verona Radicchio is used primarily for its leaves in salads. This version of radicchio has a bitter and spicy flavor. A great addition to the salad mix and is a beautiful contrast to green lettuce. When cooked, radicchio becomes sweeter, and it can even be thrown on the grill in large chunks. The root of this radicchio can be used as chicory, which is a unique addition to coffee.
Rouge De Verona Radicchio Benefits:
Radicchio contains Vitamin K, fiber, and antioxidants. Vitamin K aids in brain function, and elderly people who have diets high in vitamin K have reported better memory. Vitamin K also helps with circulation. Fiber found in Rouge De Verona aids in digestation. This is a great food for packing a punch with nutrition and feeling fully content.
Pliny the Elder, a ancient Roman doctor, believed Radicchio was both a sleep aid and blood purifier.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 6,800 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 27,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 108,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 544,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 2,720,000 Seeds