Growing Organic Hales Best Jumbo Melon Seeds
- Latin Name: Cucumis melo var. cantalupensis
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 85-120 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: ½-1"
- Plant Spacing: 1-2"
- Row Spacing: 4-6'
- Growth Habit: Vine
- Soil Preference: At least 70 degrees. Mulch can help maintain moisture in the soil.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to melon aphids, cucumber beetles, downy and powdery mildew.
- Color: Light golden
- Flavor: Mild, similar to honeydew.
Seeds Per Package:
- 4 g - Approximately 140 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 1,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 4,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 1,600 Seeds
This melon thrives in warmer, more tropic climates. This plant will produce uniform round, juicy melons for summer eating! The Hales Best Jumbo cantaloupe seeds can be sown indoors and transplanted outdoors after two to four weeks. When sowing, plant the seeds half an inch deep, with four to six feet between plants. The cantaloupe can benefit from mulch, which will help maintain the moisture of the soil. While the cantaloupe is growing, monitor the vine and pinch off any blossoms or smaller melons. By doing this, you can redirect the energy from the vine to the biggest fruits. When watering the vine, it’s best to do so at a low level. This will prevent the leaves from getting wet, which can cause and spread disease through the vine. When the cantaloupe melons are slightly golden, they should easily be pulled from the vine. Picked melons will keep for several weeks.
Read this article by Live Science about the nutritional value of cantaloupe.