Growing East Indian Lemongrass Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Taxonomy: Cymbopogon flexuosus
- Days to Maturity: 90-100 days
- Days to Germination: 7-10
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 3-9 (Perennial 10-11)
- Planting Depth: 1"
- Plant Spacing: 6-8"
- Plant Height: 24-48"
- Row Spacing: 24-36"
- Growth Habit: Grassy mound
- Soil Preference: Average, medium, well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warmer, 65-90 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Diseases/Pests: No serious problems, but watch for aphids.
- Color: Light lime green blases of grass
Seeds Per Package:
- 250 mg - Approx 600 Seeds
- .25 oz - Approx 18,250 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approx 73,000 Seeds
About East Indian Lemon Grass
This tropical grassy, bright green, perennial plant is a key ingredient in Asian cuisine.
Germination 7-10 days
Start seeds indoors, on a heating mat or atop of the fridge, cover with plastic wrap, keep seeds moist at 68 degrees with plenty of light.
Once the seedling appears, remove the plastic, keeping the seeds moist but not soaked.
When soil temperatures maintain 70 degrees, transplant seedlings into patio pots, or in the ground.
Ready for use in 90-100 days.
Lemongrass has fresh, lemony scent, which is why is it widely used in fragrances and soaps.
For culinary uses, try it in soups, marinades, salad dressings and of course stir-frys! Plus it freezes well!