Kale - Red Russian - Microgreens Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea
- Presoak: No Soak
Preferred Growing Medium: Soil or Hydroponic
- Seeding Rate (weight per 10"x 20" tray): 1 oz.
Blackout Time: 1-2 days
Germination Time: 2-3 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 8-12 days
- Microgreen Color: assorted red and pink stems with dark green leaves
- Microgreen Flavor: strong broccoli (brassica) flavor, nutty and rich
- Microgreen Texture: soft
- Nutrients: Vitamins A, C, and K, antioxidants, fiber, iron, and copper
Growing kale microgreens is quite easy. As long as you follow a few basic steps, you should have a plentiful harvest of microgreens in no time.
Prepare your growth medium, whether it be soil or a hydroponic growth mat, by getting it sufficiently moist. Spread seeds evenly across the surface of the growth medium. The denser you sow the seeds, the thicker your crop will turn out. However, be wary of over-seeding, which can lead to to the seeds becoming overcrowded, leading to crop failure.
After seeds are sown, cover for one to two days to allow seeds to germinate, and then uncover seeds and place under a grow light or in a place in your home that gets a lot of sunshine (rotate crop if next to a window to prevent "bending" in the microgreens). Continue to water when needed for up to a week and half. By then, you should have a bounty of little greens to incorporate into your meals.
The stem of Red Russian Kale can range from floral purple to bright pink—it is not uncommon to get a mixture of these in one crop.
Enjoy all of the health benefits of kale, but without the bitterness that is often associated with full-grown kale!
Seeds per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 8,000 seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 32,000 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 128,000 seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 640,000 seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 3,200,000 seeds