Growing Scarlet Nantes Carrot Garden Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: daucus carota subsp. Sativus
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 70 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: ½"
- Plant Spacing: 1-2"
- Row Spacing: 18-24"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Light, well drained, sandy soil; pH 5.5 to 6.8
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to weevils and carrot rust fly
- Color: Orange
- Flavor: Sweet and tender
Seeds Per Package:
- 3 g - Approximately 1,800 Seeds
- 10 g - Approximately 6,000 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 18,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 72,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 288,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 1,440,000 Seeds
Start by sowing the seeds directly outdoors; transplanting from indoors can cause weak and crooked roots. Plant the seeds half an inch deep in sandy soil, as soon as it can be worked. The soil should have a pH level of approximately five to seven. You will want to leave two to three inches between the plants and twelve to fourteen inches between rows. While growing, the crops will need one inch of water each week. After about seventy five days, the Tendersweet carrots will be ready to be harvested. If you would like to make picking the roots easier, you can soak their bed with water when it’s time to harvest. Fine flavor and attractive appearance make Scarlet Nantes one of our most popular carrot varieties ever! The carrots themselves grow to about 5 ½ to 6 inch-long cylinders.
Read this article on the health benefits of Carrots.