Growing Detroit Mix Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: beta vulgaris
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 60 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 4"
- Row Spacing: 12-18"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Light, moist soil, 6.5 to 7 ph. Can do well in poor soils.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to fungal leaf spots, powdery mildew, aphids and caterpillars.
- Color:Red and Gold
- Flavor: Tender texture, sweet
Start with a light, moist soil, ideally with a PH level of 6.5 to 7. Sow the seeds half an inch deep, with three inches between plants and twelve to eighteen inches between rows. These seeds will need plenty of moisture while germinating, so keep the soil moist for the first twenty one days. These beets can thrive in conditions with full sun or partial shade. After fifty to sixty days, the beets will be ready to be harvested.
Look for the green and and red mixed greens that will pop up--and just wait until you see the vibrant red and deep yellow of the fruits once they reach maturity. With this mix, you get the best of both worlds! Use greens in salads and pickle your beets to add as a topping to that salad. Discover the myriad of uses!