Purple Ruffles Basil Herb Garden Planting Seeds
- Latin Name: Ocimum basilicum 'Purpurescens'
- Purple Ruffles Basil Herb Days to Maturity: 60+(leaves) 90 (seeds)
- Purple Ruffles Basil Hardiness Zones: 9-11 Perennial, 3-9 Annual
- Purple Ruffles Basil Seed Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Purple Ruffles Basil Seed Plant Spacing: 15-18”
- Purple Ruffles Basil Growth Habit: Upright/compact bush
- Soil Preference: Rich and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Japanese beetles, slugs and aphids
- Purple Ruffles Basil Herb Color: Deep-violet leaves, pink flowers
- Purple Ruffles Basil Seed Flavor: Spicy, toasty sweetness, bright
Purple Ruffles Basil Growing Habits
Non-GMO Purple Ruffles Basil (Ocimum basilicum x purpurascens) plants grow 18” tall as compact bushes. Popular heirlooms such as Purple Basil Herbs, produce into late summer with abundant growth, developing large-sized and elegant deep-violet leaves. Your basil crop will reach ideal harvesting as they grow jagged 3” leaves, but before they bloom. This type of sweet basil thrives with regular moisture and will continue to mature and give off a sweet and spicy scent with bright flavor until the first frost arrives. By early fall, your Purple Ruffles Basil will provide pink flowers and begin to seed.
Basil in general, is an ultimate hybrid herb with many different varieties. As basil is also ancient, it’s a challenge for gardeners to pin down a single origin. Basil can be classified as either sweet or non-sweet. The popular types are considered sweet. For example, a cultivar that isn’t sweet would be clove basil.
Non-Culinary Uses for Purple Ruffles Basil Herb Seed
As basil is one of the best herbs to introduce to your health, Purple Ruffles Basil can be made into vibrant cosmetic remedies such as natural fragrance and moisturizing lip balm. The oils that come from their leaves are used to treat many different ailments, however; this Purple Ruffles Basil variety is known for the pigment compound it produces called andocynasis. The vibrant colors of purple basil are not only used for natural dye replacements, but also provide higher nutritional value as well!
Culinary Uses for Purple Ruffles Basil Herb Seed
As an heirloom basil that provides a spicy, bright aroma with hints of toasty sweetness, Purple Ruffles Basil is an award-winning quality herb in terms of flavor and elegance. This Purple basil type is often added to fresh salads as a bright garnish or blended into a striking violet pesto. As sweet basil varieties range in flavor, Purple Ruffles Basil thrives as a beautiful adornment and spicy herb.
Benefits of Growing Purple Ruffles Basil Herb Seed
This larger-sized basil variety makes a striking decorative garden addition, while lending more flavor and protection to companion plants. Grow your purple basil in a garden bed or container during the summer for bright and sweet flavor with some spice!
Purple Ruffles Basil Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 19,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 76,000 Seeds