Growing Amaranthus Early Splendor Flower Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Amaranthus tricolor “Early Splendor”
- Other Names: Summer Poinsettia
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: It is best to directly grow outdoors, however if choosing to begin indoors, begin sowing indoors, begin 4-6 weeks before last frost and transplant after all frost has stopped. It is a good idea to cover the seeds with plastic wrap until germination occurs.
- Days to Maturity: 75 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3 – 10
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 12-18"
- Row Spacing: 18"
- Growth Habit: Upright/shrub
- Soil Preference: Well drained sandy soil. Ph 6.1-6.5.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sunny location. Loves the heat!
- Diseases/pests: Aphids
- Color:crimson to chocolate brown, red, green.
Amaranthus Tricolor is best grown outside but can be grown indoors and beginning their sowing 4-6 weeks before the last frost. When replanting the seeds outside, make sure there will be no more frost, these flowers do not survive in cold weather. Press seed into soil, do not cover. When growing outside, make sure the soil is warm and that will allow the germination to arise quickly. The flower should be placed in full sun or partial shade. Well-drained soil is fine and this variety of Amaranthus is quite drought-tolerant. Water sparingly. As the plants continue to grow, they usually need some staking to hold them upright.