Growing Bella Mix Abutilon Garden Seeds
- Taxonomy: Abutilon x hybridum
- Other Names: Indian Mallow, Chinese Lantern, Flowering Maple, Parlour Maple, Velvet Leaf
- Seed Type: Annual (Perennial to Zones 10 – 11)
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Bella Mix Abutilon seeds are commonly started indoors 12 – 14 weeks prior to the final frost to account for a long germination period. Abutilon is known to take as long as 28 – 42 days to germinate with full lighting and moisture. Harden off plants to a shady place in the garden or indoors.
- Days to Flower Maturity: 105 – 112 days
- Hardiness Zone: 7 – 11
- Seed Planting Depth: Lightly press without covering 3 – 4 seeds into soil
- Plant Spacing: 18”
- Growth Habit: 18 – 24” tall bushy upright with a 12 – 18” spread of unique 3” cup-shaped blooms
- Soil Preference: Organically rich, consistently moist, well-drained
- Light Preference: Full sun – Partial shade
- Diseases/Pests/Troubleshooting: Bella Mix Abutilon is a member of the Mallow family and requires consistently moist soil and must not be allowed to dry out or blooming and foliage will suffer. Plants will show signs of burning if left unshaded during summer heat. Add an organic mulch into the soil in mid-summer to help cool the soil. Abutilon has no serious pests or diseases, but watch for whiteflies and scale.
- Colors: Seasonal mix in shades of red, pink, white, yellow, and salmon
Abutilon x hybridum, or simply known as Abutilon, is the name given to a variety of different types of Abutilons since they have all been so closely hybridized together over the years. The Abutilon plant does not exist in nature and is the sole product of garden crossbreeding and hybridization. Other than knowing how to cultivate it, there is still very little known about the Abutilon plant. Abutlion flower seeds."