A Chinese classic that is quick and easy to make! For extra flavor, you could add a pinch of ground ginger and/or a bit of garlic powder. Enjoy!
Egg Drop Soup Ingredients
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, optional (for color)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/3 cup water)
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a medium soup pot. Stir in the sesame oil, salt, sugar, and white pepper. Add in the turmeric or 5 drops of yellow food coloring if desired. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Next, add the well-mixed cornstarch and water mixture. Stir the soup continuously as you drizzle the cornstarch mixture into the broth. Use more starch for a thicker soup. You can also add the starch in a couple of small batches for better control over the consistency. Let the soup simmer for a couple of minutes. Check to see if you are satisfied with the consistency of the soup.
- Add the lightly beaten egg. Use a whisk or a fork to stir the soup in a circular motion. Continue to stir as you slowly drizzle in the egg until you have added it all.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with scallions, and serve!